Friday, March 4, 2016

Q&A with Marla Aaron

One of the best things about owning a jewelry shop is learning more about the designers whose work fills our velvet-lined cases. We starting carrying Marla Aaron's eponymous line in December after getting a glimpse of one of her badass locks on a customer—we fell for her even more on Instagram. What began with the now classic carabiner lock has evolved into the versatile collection it is today. Inspired by tools and industrial landscapes, the carabiner remains the central component of the line. Below Marla shares everything from her preferred footwear to a transformative beauty tip...read on for more!

Oh she glows...
Can you tell us a little about how you started your jewelry-making career? Did you have a concrete "aha" moment?

I had a very specific idea about a collection of jewelry, but I also had a job that had absolutely nothing to do with jewelry and children and a life that definitely did not support the concept of me "finding myself". It was pure fantasy. I would sit at home at night and teach myself how to solder. I was constantly reading and studying. My lunch hours were spent on 47th street, talking to people and trying to find my way. I knew I had a collection that I could bring to life, but I was too scared to do it. I was dreaming, plotting and thinking about it constantly.

And then, with my job I had a terrible business trip to France—I will not go into details, but suffice it to say, I had an accident on the trip and was seriously injured. I literally decided while I was there that when I got home I was going to talk to my husband, quit my job and launch my company. On the plane ride home, I wrote a Powerpoint presentation (cause that's the stuff I use to do) for my husband explaining why I had to do it right that very minute. He agreed to it and here we are four years later. I would say that the collection today is precisely what I thought it would be. What I would never have imagined is how women have taken what I have made and made it 'their own' in totally surprising ways.

Marla Aaron 18" Heavy Sterling Silver Curb Chain Necklace, Marla Aaron Medium Lock in 14k Yellow Gold, Antique Egyptian Revival 14k Enamel and Diamond Locket,  Marla Aaron 14k Medium Curb Link Chain 18"Marla Aaron Sterling Silver Heart Lock, Antique Victorian 15k Gold Enamel & Diamond Horseshoe Locket,  Antique Sterling Silver Padlock Charm, Marla Aaron 16" Sterling Silver Medium Curb Chain, Marla Aaron Sterling Silver Baby Lock, Antique Victorian Niello Zebra Striped Locket, Antique Victorian 14k Gold Bloomed Oval Locket with Cushion Cut Diamond
We'd love to hear your two cents when it comes to mixing metals in terms of wearing & styling jewelry. Any thoughts?

The more variety the better. I have no interest in matching…anything. I wear what I love. I would not wear any jewelry I didn't love.

16" Sterling Silver Medium Curb Chain, 14k Yellow Gold Baby Lock, 14k Medium Curb Link Chain 18", Medium Lock in 14k Yellow Gold, 18" Heavy Sterling Silver Curb Chain Necklace, Sterling Silver Heart Lock (All Marla Aaron)
How would you describe your personal style in a sentence or two? 

Wild gypsy caravan served up with fine china on white tablecloths and high heels. In my day-to-day, this translates into a key silhouette that revolves around the right proportion which I can only describe as wide, long and voluminous. I mostly wear Stylenanda so I can splurge on key pieces by Dries Van Noten and Gary Graham. And I am either wearing clogs or stilettos—I really don't have an in-between on that.

Various Marla Aaron Locks available  in-shop and online
Do you have any jewelry designers you particularly admire or are inspired by?

Hemmerle, Suzanne Belperron, Paul Flato. Most inspiring of all are the women who surprise me with the way they wear my jewelry, which feeds me with endless ideas and ways to iterate and improve [my line].

16" Sterling Silver Medium Curb Chain, 14k Yellow Gold Baby Lock, 14k Medium Curb Link Chain 18", Medium Lock in 14k Yellow Gold, 18" Heavy Sterling Silver Curb Chain Necklace, Sterling Silver Heart Lock (All Marla Aaron)
How do you unwind? Any chill-out rituals you swear by?

Bikram Yoga, Tequila and Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant. By wearing the later I can be certain that no one will disturb me…check it out you'll see why.

Mega Curb Sterling Silver Bracelet Finished in Yellow GoldSterling Silver Heart LockSterling Silver and Yellow Gold Regular Lock (All Marla Aaron) 
Thank you, Marla!

Please note, some of the pieces pictured above are not yet available online. Call 415-590-2998 or email info@metiersf.com for more info. 


No comments

Post a Comment